Friday, May 1, 2009

Checklist for making me continue to doubt my ability to succeed in grad school

So this list is not of my own making, but instead the list my Contemporary American Women Writers professor sent out tonight re: the final paper that is due on Monday.

Final Essay Checklist

Essay 13 - 20 pages double spaced 12 or 14 font with standard margins

Pages numbered

Argumentative in format, with a clear focus throughout and careful transitions

When in doubt, use focused, analytical topic sentences that establish the unfolding logic of your argument

Be sure to think about what’s at stake in making your argument (Imagine someone asking, Why should I care about this? Why is it important?)

Ideas should be supported with both text and developed though your original analysis of that text (as a general rule, follow quotations with the equivalent amount of analysis – word choice, imagery, sentence structure, characterization, etc. -- or shorten the quotation)

Avoid plot summary, generalizations and broad commentary

Make reference to relevant criticism about this issue in this literary text

Engage with other critics by establishing the relationship between their argument and yours; differentiate yourself to show how your argument is original

Be wary of using other critics’ claims to support your argument; if you are doing so, do so in a footnote or very quickly in the text, and don’t rely upon others to prove your point (just because someone else makes a claim doesn’t make it valid)

Proofread for mechanics and read aloud to be sure that your essay flows

Submit your essay in hard copy format with clear print



I think I can handle the page numbers and size 12 font; the other stuff, not so sure. I was feeling pretty good about this paper (or at least I had convinced myself I was feeling good about it) and while none of these ideas are new (this is all stuff she's said in class before), seeing it all together at once in the form of a checklist is really intimidating. I'm going to try to hold on to the positive feelings I had, though, lock myself in the library tomorrow and produce something I'm proud of. I mean, it's about time, really.

Unrelated to final papers but related to past posts, I gave the guy whose car I hit a check today. He tried to be a dick about me writing it to the garage, something about how he's going to California after finals and doesn't want to be hanging on to the check? Whatever, asshole, I'm not just handing you $1455. Anyway, that chapter is closed now, but there may be an epilogue. That's just how I roll.

The best news I got today was from Curly Tail. Even though I'm still in the process of being approved for adoption (still have to have a home visit), I sent an email to the woman I thought I had had my phone interview with, Kristen. She had said to let her know if I saw any dogs on the website I'd be interested in, so I did. Well, turns out I had the wrong Kristin, but the Kristin I did email wrote me back to say that I'm being "highly considered" for Penelope, a pug I inquired after! She's six years old, and they rescued her from a puppy mill (very, very sad). If you want to read about her, you can go here and scroll down to see her bio. I really hope it works out; I got very upset when I was reading about the puppy mill rescues (ask Matt, he knows) and I would love, love, love to rescue one of these dogs who really needs a good forever home! Wish me luck!

P.S. I promise to do "Cosmo Sucks" again soon. Probably after finals. Give it another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment