Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Celebrity Names

I shouldn't be posting; I should be writing my Dickens paper (last one of the semester, due in two days). But in doing the reading for said paper, I discovered that Dickens named one of his sons Alfred Tennyson Dickens. This struck me as just plain awesome. I mean, celebrities have long named their children weird things:

  • Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow -- Apple and Moses
  • David and Victoria Beckham -- Cruz, Romeo, and Brooklyn
  • Li'l Mo -- God'Iss Love Stone (I don't know who this is, but I had to include it. Mainly because of the apostrophe)
  • Jermaine Jackson and Alejandra Genevieve Oaziaza -- Jermajesty
  • Frank Zappa -- Moon Unit, Dweezil and Diva Muffin
  • Bruce Willis and Demi Moore -- Rumer, Scout, and Tallulah
  • Sylvester Styllone -- Sage Moonblood
  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie -- Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt
Ok, so as wacky as those names are, I want to posit that what Dickens did was even crazier. Alfred, Lord Tennyson was one of Dickens's contemporaries. Can you imagine naming your kid after one of your colleagues? Even if they weren't in the same profession, it was still basically naming a child after a celebrity. Like if I named my kid, I dunno, Paris Hilton Whitmore or Justin Timberlake Whitmore. I'm probably going to go for J.K. Rowling Whitmore, myself. The kid can always change it when s/he's 18 to something more suitable.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget Kevin Smith's daughter Harley Quinn Smith, named after the Batman villain Harley Quinn.

    ReplyDelete